Due to an amendment to Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IPRA) regarding consulting and advising on immigration, ISSAC staff are limited in the type of support that can be provided to faculty, staff and students for immigration matters.

Where to refer international students

You may refer international students to:

  1. The International Student Guide 
    The International Student Guide information is for basic guideline purposes only. IRCC regulations and procedures are subject to change without notice. 

  2. ISSAC is the first point of contact for faculty and staff regarding immigration matters involving students.
    International students can access drop-in support at ISSAC, Monday to Friday, 9 am to 12 pm and consult with an international education officer. Appointments will be scheduled as needed.

The international education officers at ISSAC do not provide immigration advising. They direct students to the IRCC website to find the appropriate information and refer students to appropriate resources.  

Please refer students to ISSAC for assistance if they are in any of the following situations:

  • student’s application for a study permit is denied;
  • student was not issued their study permit at the port of entry;
  • student’s study permit has expired;
  • student has been discontinued from / has withdrawn from their academic program;
  • student has lost their study permit or passport;
  • student has to take a break from their studies for any reason;
  • student has an expired health card; or
  • any other situation that you are concerned might adversely affect the student’s immigration status, academic situation or personal well-being.

Regulatory Changes

Please note that, as of June 1, 2014, regulatory changes came into effect for the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) International Student Program (ISP).

Changes to the International Student Program:

  • Limits the issuance of study permits to applicants who will be studying at a designated learning institution (DLI) that are designated by provinces and territories on the basis of meeting minimum standards
  • Requires students to actively pursue their studies while in Canada
  • Allows full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part-time off campus and full-time during scheduled school breaks without an off-campus work permit

DLI number

The designated learning institution (DLI) number for University of Saskatchewan is: O19425660421.

Working on campus

International students who are registered full-time in a degree, diploma or certificate program at the U of S and who want to work on campus must meet the eligibility requirements listed by IRCC.

These requirements are the same for international students who are registered at other Canadian institutions. Contact ISSAC if you have any questions regarding particular cases where you are unsure if an international student would meet eligibility requirements. 

All international students who have a study permit and who wish to work on campus must obtain a social insurance number (SIN) from Service Canada. In order to apply for a SIN for on-campus employment, students must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on their study permit:

  • May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies.
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria. 

If a study permit does not have any of the above remarks, a student would have to request an amendment to their study permit through the IRCC website before they can apply for a SIN. 

IRCC reporting requirements

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada have made changes to the International Student Program (ISP). One change is that designated learning institutions (DLIs), such as the University of Saskatchewan, are required to report to IRCC the enrollment status of international students who have applied for a study permit (including renewals) and have received it on or after June 1, 2014.

The University of Saskatchewan participated in the soft launch of this compliance report in November 2014. The International Student and Study Abroad Centre is taking the lead on completing the compliance report with the support of the designated learning institution strategy team and various units across campus.

ISSAC will be contacting students if we have questions for about their enrolment status. We will be contacting the students via PAWS email and setting up one-on-one appointments during the month of May. For further information about the compliance reporting and student enrollment status options, please visit the IRCC website. If you have further questions, please email

Settlement services

ISSAC provides settlement support for new international students.

  • A free taxi and first-night accommodation service is available to new international students who need transportation from the bus depot/train station/airport and who require accommodation for their first night in the city. Students need to submit the online requests at least one week prior their arrival in Saskatoon. ISSAC makes exceptions for students where necessary. 

  • ISSAC can also provide limited financial support for emergency accommodation.

  • After students’ arrival, international students should be advised to come to ISSAC to receive an arrival package, including the student guide, and receive settlement support and referrals. 

  • ISSAC hosts an international Student welcome for both the fall and winter intake of international and exchange students.  Students can register via the main orientation website. Other locally hosted events, student-led activities and learning sessions can be found on the ISSAC Facebook page.

Incoming International Students

In addition to degree programs, exchange programs and visiting student options, there are a number of short-term academic opportunities for international students to study and research at the University of Saskatchewan. These opportunities are organized independently from the U of S and often include scholarship and research components in addition to studying at the U of S. Some of the programs and organizations that send students and scholars to the U of S include:

Visiting Research Student

Visiting research students require formal application and admittance to the U of S.

Visiting research students are here on short-term research (less than 6 months) under a faculty supervisor. The Visiting Research Student Program is administered through the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.

English language support

If you encounter international students who are struggling in their classes because of language barriers, please consider recommending one of two U of S Language Centre programs to them.


U-Bridge classes are for students working toward meeting U of S language proficiency requirements. In U-Bridge, students take one university class (either ANTH 111 in U-Bridge 1 or SOC 112 in U-Bridge 2) and an ESL class to improve language and study skills.

The ESL instructor attends the university class with students to fully support and integrate learning. Students develop skills such as note-taking, reading/understanding academic articles, writing term papers and giving presentations. The academic class materials (i.e. textbooks, assignments, lectures) are used for language learning. In most cases, students earn credit for both the university class and the ESL parts of U-Bridge.
In extreme cases, U-Bridge can be an opportunity for struggling first-year international students to take a step back and focus more on improving English-language and study skills. It could serve as an alternative to probation or discontinuing a program.
U-Bridge is recognized for credit by the colleges of Arts and Science, Agriculture and Bioresources, Edwards School of Business and Engineering. Classes run concurrently with U of S study terms.
For more information, visit their webpage. If you have questions or wish to refer a student, please call 306-966-8015 or email Lisa Krol at the U of S Language Centre.

Evening ESL classes

In cases that are not as extreme, non-credit ESL classes are available during evenings for international students, faculty and staff who may want to improve English in specific areas such as academic writing, speaking, pronunciation, reading, listening and note-taking, and graduate-level writing. Classes cost between $255 and $485 depending on length (18 – 45 hours), however bursaries are available for graduate students. Students are required to have a language skills assessment before they register. See their website or email Lynn Bytyqi for information.