What is a homework system?
- Online tools that can grade questions asked to students as homework, track formative practice, or assess examinations
- Most useful in classes where students are problem solving (i.e. math, chemistry) and need immediate feedback about if they have done the process correctly. Systems also commonly used to test recall
- Typically tied to or integrated with textbooks
- Faculty can often customize questions
- Can be commercial, student-pay systems or non-commercial (free) systems
What are the alternatives to commercial systems?
- Use existing non-commercial tools that are used in other Canadian universities including UBC, UofC, McGill, etc.
- Access funds from Gwenna Moss to support your graduate students in building question banks for integration in Blackboard and Top Hat and automatic marking
- Contact Heather Ross for more information about alternatives and potential funding.
What are the benefits of commercial systems?
What are the issues with commercial systems?
ICT Service Desk
Contact ICT Service Desk for infortmation on how to access a specific commercial homework system through Blackboard.
The Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching & Learning
Contact Heather Ross for more information about alternatives and potential funding.