Chief Ka-nee-na-wup (One Who Sits Like an Eagle) and his Ojibway people lived along the Upper Qu’Appelle Lakes prior to signing Treaty 4 on September 15, 1874. When Ka-nee-na-wup died, his son Muscowequan (Hard Quill, Muskowekwan) became chief. A reserve was surveyed in 1883, incorporating the settlement where they had already started farming (just south of the Touchwood Post). In 1886 a school was opened on the reserve, including swings for the children; it received second place for the best school in the Territories in 1888 and 1889. The band’s agricultural development progressed apace, possibly aided by the model farm attached to the school in 1903. It had a windmill that made flour from the wheat, supplied power for cutting firewood and building lumber, crushed grain, and pumped water to the main building. In 1993 Muskowekwan’s Treaty Land Entitlement Claim was ratified, enabling the band to increase its land holdings to a total of 12,517.3 ha. The reserve is home to 365 members, from a total membership of 1,388 people. The Muskowekwan Reserve is located 64 km northwest of Fort Qu’Appelle; its infrastructure includes a band office and medical clinic, band hall, workshop, maintenance office, water treatment plant and pump house, school and teacherage, and an outdoor rink.