This short course is designed to help educators design learning that enables diverse learning and increased access and flexibility for students. We will explore ways to offer students ways to reflect on their own competencies, choose how they want to build upon them, and contribute to the co-construction of criteria towards meeting prescribed course outcomes. You may know where you want students to be by the end of the course, now how can we help them figure out their own path to get to that destination?
- Describe power over and power with students.
- Describe choice within and choice between assessments.
- Design authentic aligned assessments that foster choice & voice.
- Anticipate and plan to address the needs of students when given choice.
Certificate in University Teaching and Learning (CUTL) Connections:
- 1.2.1 -I reflect on personal power and position and develop strategies for power-sharing and choices for students
- 1.3.1 -I use strategies to encourage and foster open and healthy dialogue among my students
- 1.3.2 -I purposefully select and use strategies to communicate inclusively and responsively with my students
- 2.1.3 -I select active & engaging instructional strategies aligned to an outcome and intended assessment
- 2.3.2 -I purposefully use a wide range of accessible communication strategies that make it easy for my students to understand what I am teaching
- 3.2.3 -I design assessment tasks that require students to apply disciplinary learning under authentic, or close to authentic as possible, circumstances.
- 3.3.2 -I embed opportunities for reflection on learning in student assessments.
Timing: 2 sessions, with one additional optional check in