Duration: 3 sessions - 3 hours each
This short course is designed to support instructors in interpreting their summative teaching evaluations, provide an opportunity to reflect on student feedback, discuss their teaching practice in a supportive environment with peers, and develop and monitor the effectiveness of an action plan to revise their course and develop their teaching practice in response to student feedback.
Instructors at any stage in their career are welcome to participate, including staff, graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars who are currently teaching classes and have the opportunity to collect student feedback of their teaching.
This course addresses these Educator Commitments from Our Learning Charter:
- EL 1.2 Engage with students and peers in a respectful manner
- EL 1.4 Encourage and foster open and healthy dialogue
- EC 4.1 Provide students with the opportunity to give candid feedback on their learning experience
- EC 4.2 Seek feedback from peers and other sources to allow for evidence on all aspects of teaching practice to be reflected upon for the purposes of continuous improvement
- EC 4.5 Engage in meaningful conversations about their practices with others
Teaching Certification Connections
Essential Teaching Competency 4: Value improving and growing teaching practice
Outcomes and Indicators:
- Reflect on current teaching practices to adjust and improve
- Accurately self- assess effectiveness of current practice
- Collects evidence of teaching efficacy
- Reflect on degree to which the Learning Charter (student and educator outcomes) is reflected in one’s classroom
- Recognize elements of the learning charter in personal teaching practice
- Identify areas of the charter for further exploration
- Make appropriate changes based on feedback
- Select areas for improvement based on evidence
- Choose appropriate responses
- Monitor effectiveness of change
Short course outline
- Session 1: First week of September – Review and Plan
- Intro to cohort, how to give and receive feedback, review and discuss past summative student feedback of teaching (focus on general experience, strengths in feedback of teaching, solutions to challenges), and develop plan for collecting formative feedback about teaching that will be implemented over term 1
- Session 2: Last week of November – Analyse and Respond
- Analyse and discuss formative feedback from students (SLEQ and/or feedback collected in accord with plan), analyse and discuss expected/surprising effects of any changes made, plan response to effects and feedback for last half of year, update formative feedback plan
- Session 3: Second week of January – Review and Renew
- Review and discuss summative student feedback, plan and discuss changes to course and develop a plan to develop teaching practice that is focussed on strengths and leverages community connections (what GMCTL services might help, what peer supports might be accessed, etc.).
To register for this short course, visit our events calendar.