This short course invites faculty, sessional lecturers, graduate students and staff to create learning experiences and environments supporting inclusivity and wellbeing through course design. Student wellness is essential for engaged learning and students’ academic experiences can profoundly influence their wellness. Teaching with an equity and inclusivity-focus builds an environment where students can feel they are seen, heard, valued, belong and have opportunity to thrive, all of which supports their wellness.
- Create a welcoming tone for your classroom community
- Identify inclusive and equity-focused teaching practices to incorporate into your practice
- Choose course design strategies likely to impact student wellness and engagement
Certificate in University Teaching and Learning (CUTL) Connections:
- 1.3.1 -I use strategies to encourage and foster open and healthy dialogue among my students
- 1.3.2 -I purposefully select and use strategies to communicate inclusively and responsively with my students
- 2.2.2 -I design to engage diverse learners
Timing: 4 sessions (in-person), with additional resources in Canvas.