The Course Design Institute (CDI) is a short course where participants will learn about and be able to practice the elements of designing or revising a course, including writing learning outcomes, choosing appropriate teaching strategies, and creating assessments that will measure student learning. The CDI is offered in a blended format consisting of six live sessions via Zoom, plus online materials and activities that participants will need to complete between sessions. The sessions are held over 12 weeks. This course can be used towards Teaching Certification with GMCTL for faculty members.
Note: The Course Design Institute is only open to instructors, not graduate students.
Learning Charter Connections:
This session addresses these Educator Commitments from Our Learning Charter
- EL 1.1 - Exemplify active learning and curiosity, demonstrate broad thinking
- AF 3.1 - Provide a clear indication of what is expected of students in a course or learning activity, and what students can do to be successful in achieving the expected learning outcomes as defined in the course outline
- AF 3.2 - Ensure that assessments of learning are transparent, applied consistently and are congruent with learning outcomes
- AF 3.4 - Design tools to both assess and enable student learning
- EC 4.3 - Learn about advances in effective pedagogies / andragogies
- EC 4.4 - Engage in meaningful conversations about their practices with others
Duration: 6 sessions - 2 hours each
Next course offering: Fall 2021
All sessions will be 1:00 - 3:00pm; Sept 21, Oct. 5, 19, and Nov. 2, 16, 30.